Specially formulated wet chemical to suppress Class F fires, Safequip’s Wet Chemical Extinguisher is designed to combat fires resulting from fats and edible oils burning in deep fryers.
Because of their high auto-ignition temperatures, cooking oil fires are difficult to extinguish. In order to extinguish these fires they need to be cooled sufficiently therefore conventional extinguishers are not as effective due to the risk of flash back and re-ignition.
Specialist wet chemical extinguishers are ideal for Class F fires, involving cooking oils and fats, such as lard, olive oil, sunflower oil, maize oil and butter. It is extremely effective as the wet chemical rapidly knocks the flames out, cools the burning oil and chemically reacts to form a soap-like solution, sealing the surface and preventing re-ignition.
Safequip’s Wet Chemical Extinguisher is specifically designed to combat fires resulting from fats and edible oils burning in deep fryers. It is charged with a specially formulated wet chemical. The extinguisher is ideally suitable for use in restaurants, hospitals kitchens, nursing homes, hotels, schools, airports, and other similar facilities.
This wet chemical extinguisher reacts with hot, burning cooking oil or fat. When the fire extinguishing substance is applied to the burning liquid it will cool and emulsify the oil, and the flames will immediately subside. An effective fire extinguishing film of foam forms on the surface which prevents re-ignition.
The wet chemical agent is a special salt based fire extinguishing liquid used in fire extinguishers or stationary fire extinguishing installations for fighting fires in deep fat fryers, frying appliances as well as air exhaust facilities in kitchens and is applied to the burning surface using spray nozzles.
The Wet Chemical Agent can easily be removed after use without having to use any special aids. The foam remains restricted to the fire zone whilst other parts of the facility covered by the fire extinguishing substance can be cleaned using plenty of clear water or a steam jet cleaner.
The cooking oil or fat contaminated with the fire extinguishing agent may not be re-used. The cooking oil or fat must cool down before cleaning the frying or deep frying appliances.
Advantages and Features
- Wet Chemical Extinguishers are suitable for cooking fat fires ‘Class F’ and combustible materials ‘Class A’ (wood, paper and plastics) for which it carries a 13A Fire Rating.
- As the agent is sprayed in fine atomized droplets onto a cooking oil/fat-related fire, it provides excellent flame knock-down and surface-cooling.
- The cooling effect which it provides enhances its ability to prevent re-ignition.
- Passed 35kV conductivity of discharge test ensures its safety for the inevitable use on electrical appliances.
- Hose assembly incorporates a unique swivel connector for ease of directing the discharge.
- Tested to extinguish fires resulting from cooking oil and fat burning of up to 75 litres in size.
- Easy to use.
- The 6 litre size is comparatively light.
- The lance and nozzle are constructed from high quality stainless steel.
- Produce highly effective, but gentle spray helps, which prevents hot oil splashing onto the user.
- Considered non-corrosive to most metals.
- Biodegradable and non-toxic.
- Long shelf life.
- It is used as a portable extinguisher, but the wet chemical is also suited for fixed fire extinguishing installations for deep fat fryers and cooker hoods.
- The Wet Chemical Agent can be easily removed after use with lots of water or a steam jet cleaner.
- It is normally used as a backup to an automatic fire suppression system.
- The extinguisher is re-chargeable.
- The agent is pre-mixed, eliminating the need for dilution before system re-charging.
Instructions for use
Typical appliances include:
- oil fryers
- range tops
- upright, natural charcoal, or chain-type broilers
- electric, lava rock
- mesquite or gas-radiant char-broilers
The Wet Chemical must be applied using the extended applicator or lance in slow circular movements, giving a gentle, yet thorough application in fine spray form, covering and emulsifying the burning cooking oil or fat, preventing re-ignition.
Aim the applicator tip from a distance of about 1 meter from of the fire, squeeze the levers on the operating head together and attack the fire from the base in slow circular movements covering the complete area.
- Do NOT use water on ‘Class F’ fires.
- Ensure that you keep out of smoke and fumes produced by the fire.
- Take care to let the oil or fat cool before cleaning the frying appliance.
- The oil or fat may not be re-used.
- The energy source to the cooking equipment must be shut off to permit the cooking media to cool down below its auto-ignition temperature.