Safequip’s first aid kit is a collection of supplies and equipment for use in giving first aid and was purposefully put together. There is a wide variation in the contents to the requirements of the area where it may be used and variations in legislation or regulation in a given area.
What does the law say?
According to conditions set out in the General Safety Regulations to the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Act 85 of 1993), an employer must take “all reasonable steps” to ensure that employees (and even people visiting the premises) receive prompt First Aid treatment in the case of injury or emergency. This includes the training of employees in first aid skills by a recognised training institution.
The Act requires that:
In order for your company to pass a Department of Labour audit, 5% of the workforce on duty at any given time must be trained in First Aid by a company that is registered with the Department
Teams of at least four employees must practice to work together and share the responsibility. That goes for first aid and fire-fighting, which is also an occupational safety requirement
First aid boxes must be provided on site, where people work away from the factory and where deliveries are made. A trained, responsible person must always have the necessary equipment at hand to be able to render an effective first aid service
First aid equipment and facilities must be clearly marked by signs as prescribed by law, so anyone who is unfamiliar with the business premises can easily find the first aid equipment. This includes fire extinguishers
How many first aid boxes should be provided?
The number of boxes required should be determined by the employer, taking the following into account:
The type of injuries that are likely to occur at a workplace
The nature of the activities performed and
The number of employees employed at such workplace
Minimum contents of a first aid box
In the case of shops and offices, the quantities stated under items 1, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17, and 18 may be reduced by half.
- Wound cleaner / antiseptic (100ml)
- Swabs for cleaning wounds
- Cotton wool for padding (100g)
- Sterile gauze (minimum quantity 10)
- 1 pair of forceps (for splinters)
- 1 pair of scissors (minimum size 100mm)
- 1 set of safety pins
- 4 triangular bandages
- 4 roller bandages (75mm x 5m)
- 4 roller bandages (100mm x 5m)
- 1 roll of elastic adhesive (25mm x 3m)
- 1 Non-allergenic adhesive strip (25mm x 3m)
- 1 Packet of adhesive dressing strips (minimum quantity 10 assorted sizes)
- 4 First aid dressing (75mm x 100mm)
- 4 First aid dressings (150mm x 200mm)
- 2 Straight splints
- 2 Pairs large and 2 pairs medium disposable latex gloves
- 2 CPR mouth pieces or similar devices